A Facebook group whose 250 members are either direct or lateral descendants of the 100 Pennsylvania Volunteer Regiment will hold an all-day family reunion next Saturday to honor those who served in this unique Civil War regiment. Events will take place inside and on the grounds of the Greersburg Academy in Darlington, PA. There’s no telling what all will take place when these folks get together, but I know they will welcome anyone who is interested in Civil War history. Here’s a tentative schedule of activities.
9AM: Welcome; museums all open; reenactors encamped around Greersburg Academy; Donuts and coffee breakfast available outside Greersburg Academy.
ALL-DAY EVENTS INCLUDE:
· Living Historian, Kenneth Serfass, as General US Grant. He will be giving a presentation on the Battle of Vicksburg, in which our Roundheads participated. He bears a striking resemblance to the General and will remain in character all day
· Brenda Applegate from the Beaver County Historical Research and Landmark Foundation will be in period dress and will have a booth set up talking about “The Underground Railroad Quilt Code.”
· Kevin Farkas of the Social Voice Project will have his podcast recording equipment set up all day and will be interviewing any Roundhead relative about their family member in the 100th.
· We will be raffling off a copy of the 1989 reprint of the “100th PA Regimental History” and two signed copies of Carolyn Schriber's new book, “Beyond All Price.”
· We will have slides of Roundhead grave site researched and found by Judy Foster showing all day.
· There will be photos of Roundheads and Roundhead memorabilia on display inside Greersburg Academy.
· Food and drink will be available for sale outside the Academy from the ladies of the Little Beaver Historical Society.
9:30 AM: Wreath laying ceremony at the Civil War monument that was built by the Daniel Leasure GAR post.
9:45 to 10:15 AM—Jay Paisley will talk about his book “The Huffman Letters. Jay will have signed copies of his book available.
10:45 to 11:15—Larry Spinnenweber will present his program on Civil War surgery.
11:45 to 12:15—Dave Welch will speak about his research and work setting up the 100th PA web site.
1:00 PM—Ken Serfass will present his recreation of General U.S. Grant
1:45 PM—Mike Kraus, curator of Soldiers and Sailors Hall in Pittsburgh, will give a presentation on the PA 100th the Roundheads.
3:00 PM—Ken Turner will give a presentation on Pennsylvania in the Civil War and area regiments.
If you are in the area, please stop by for a few minutes or several hours.