"Roundheads and Ramblings"
As for silly laws that apply to just one city in South Carolina, Myrtle Beach wins the prize for the longest list. And I guarantee you these are not April Fool jokes. They are still on the books.
- It is illegal to urinate in the waters of any park.
- Persons may not change clothes in a gas station without permission of the owner.
- Sleeping on public beach after 9:00 p.m. prohibited. It shall be
unlawful for any person to sleep on the beach within the city between
the hours of 9:00 p.m. and sunrise.
- (a) It shall be unlawful to allow any dog to be on the
public beaches or boardwalks of the municipality from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00
p.m. during the period from May 15 through September 15 of each year,
except for assistance animals and law enforcement dogs. Owners shall be
subject to arrest and the dogs may be impounded.
- (b) It shall be
unlawful for an owner or keeper of any animal to take or permit
the animal onto the right of way of Ocean Boulevard between 21st Ave.
North and 13th Ave. South during the period from March 1st to September
30th of each year, except for the purpose of direct and expeditious
crossing of the right of way. Owners shall be subject to arrest and
the animal may be impounded.
- The Fire Department may blow up your house. Readers of "Damned Yankee" will understand the need for this law.
- It is against the law to drive a motorized vehicle on King Street.
- Lifeguards must be present at apartment complex pools, but only after 11:00 PM. -
- Horses are to wear pants at all times.
- The drinking age on Furman University campus is 60 years old. I'm guessing they have a lot of old faculty members there.
- It is illegal to dance in public in Lancaster
- Eating watermelons in the Magnolia Street cemetery is forbidden.