In recognition of the Civil War Sesquicentennial, “Civil War-Era Memories” features excerpts from The Memphis Daily Appeal of 150 years ago. The Appeal is publishing from Atlanta. Perspective from our staff is in italics.
Jul. 29, 1863
Change of Rates — We ask public attention to the change which we have found it necessary to make in our terms of subscription and advertising. This advance in price has been necessitated by the increase in the price of white paper, as well as by the advance in the cost of everything incidental to newspaper publication. (Prices for the APPEAL rose from 10 cents to 20 cents for a single copy and from $2.50 to $3.00 for a monthly subscription)
.Jul. 30, 1863
Wall Paper for Printing Purposes — Previous to the fall of Vicksburg, our readers may remember to have seen a dispatch sent from Jackson, to the effect that on account of the scarcity of printing paper in the beleaguered city, the only journal issued there was published on common wall paper. A friend, who was taken prisoner at the capitulation, and who arrived in this city on parole, showed us a copy of this paper — the Whig — dated June 23rd, which we examined with much interest ... As a memento of the memorable siege, this paper will be invaluable.
Jul. 31, 1863
From the Chattanooga Rebel — Quite a crowd assembled on the streets the other day to see Forrest and his new charger — they were surprised, no doubt, to find that he mounted as other men, and rode away in a quiet and orderly manner, without any circus tricks or cavalry pranks whatever.
Aug. 3, 1863
Federal Reports from West Tennessee — After his flight from Tipton County, Richardson crossed over the Big Hatchie River and went to Brownsville ... Richardson seems to have settled down in his present encampment with a fixed resolve to stay there and destroy the property of every Union man in Haywood County. (Brigadier General Robert V. Richardson, who served with Forrest, was described by the Federals as a “notorious guerrilla.” After the war, he returned to Memphis and is buried in Elmwood Cemetery).