I have an extremely busy week coming up. Plans include a Lions meeting and then a trip to Ohio, where I’ll be attending the Military Writers Society of America annual conference. No vacation, that! I’m scheduled to participate in two discussion panels, one on using primary sources for historical research and another on marketing. Those two don’t require a great deal of preparation, since they’ll be based on an open format and there are several other participants in each one. We’ll just let the discussions lead us.
The other two sessions, however, require advance preparation. (I feel like I’m prepping class lectures again. ) The first involves a demonstration of how to use Scrivener, a software program for writers. At first I thought it would be easy. I’d just put one of my old book manuscripts up on the screen and point out how I used the program. But no such luck! First, Scrivener put out a new edition, which meant I had to relearn some of the commands. And now my old manuscript didn’t demonstrate the very best features of the new program.
What to do? My solution was to take the time to set up a program for my next novel. Again, not as easy as it sounds! I could have just faked it, I suppose, but I figured that as long as I was doing it, I might as well end up with something I could really use in the future. So I’m chin-deep in my genealogy files and distracted by old family pictures that reveal qualities I didn’t know my characters had. For example, I never realized that one cousin was an alcoholic until I started noticing that in every family get-together, she was passed out in a corner. She could have had narcolepsy, I suppose, but from the other evidence of glasses and bottles, I don’t think so. Interesting stuff, but a distraction from the original purpose.