As some of you know, The Second Mouse Gets the Cheese, my new book on self-publishing. was published last Friday. (Should I be worried that it was Friday the 13th?) It now has a page on Amazon, although it doesn't always show up in searches yet. It's also on Smashwords.com, where you can get an electronic version for several different platforms, including one that you can read on your computer screen. We're still waiting for formatting for Kindle. It has some clever little mouse images, and they are notoriously hard to manage on Kindles, so it may be another week or so before its appearance there.
This morning I have set the official launch date as February 15th, hoping that all will be in place by them. But one of the details that must happen right now is arranging for legitimate reviews that appear on the Amazon page before I start asking the general public to take a chance on the book. And that is where you, my faithful followers, come in. I need people to read through the book, or at least thumb through it, reading selected sections. Then, I hope, you'll drop by the Amazon page and leave a few chosen words about why you like the book, or how useful you find it.
Please note. I'm not asking for 5-star rave reviews. Actually, a book that gets nothing but 5-stars looks suspiciously faked. I just want your honest reactions, with comments that potential purchasers will find helpful. The reviews do not need to be long, either. Amazon only asks that they be 20 words or more.
There's a limit, of course. I'll be taking only the first 20 offers from readers.
Here's the process, and the payoff for you.
1. If you are willing to read and review, please respond by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating your willingness and giving me your snail-mail address, so I can reward you.
2. I'll reply with a code that will look something like this: AB12C (This one isn't real. It won't work!)
3. Then you'll go to the book's page on Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/124768. The price will show up as $2.99, but when you enter the code I give you on your order, the price will drop to $0.00. FREE!
4. You'll be able to download your copy immediately.
5. Once you've taken a look at the book, write your review on the book's Amazon page, and you're finished, except for watching your real mailbox for a delivery. I'll be sending every reviewer who appears on the Amazon page a free copy of the trade paperback, a regular $12.95 value.
Thanks for your help. Without readers like you, writers like me would be flipping burgers somewhere.